Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Lukewarm

As mentioned in my previous post, I am currently reading and discussing Crazy Love by Francis Chan. At first I was skeptical in reading a book instead of just the Bible for small group. Then I started reading the book. I have thoroughly enjoyed it. The first 3 chapters have been interesting and have put old ideas in a new perspective. Then I started reading the fourth chapter, titled Profile of the Lukewarm. I knew all about "lukewarm" Christians, or I thought I did. This chapter hit me in the face like a sock full of nickels, a sock full of nickels that would simultaneously turn my stomach inside out and make me want throw up food I haven't even thought about eating.

Here are a few of the examples Francis Chan gives backed with scripture:

Lukewarm people don't really want to be saved from their sin; they want only to be saved from the penalty of their sin. They don't genuinely hate sin and aren't truly sorry for it; they're merely sorry because God is going to punish them. Lukewarm people don't really believe that this new life Jesus offers is better than the old sinful life.

"What shall we say, then? Shall we go on sinning so that grace may
increase? By no means! We died to sin, how can we live in it any
longer?" (Romans 6:1-2)

I know I struggle with if I take God's grace for granted, knowing that he can and will forgive me of all sins. However, does that mean I can still knowingly sin?


Lukewarm people are moved by stories about people who do radical things for Christ, yet they do not act. They assume such action is for "extreme" Christians, and not average ones. Lukewarm people call "radical" what Jesus expected of all His followers.

"Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says" (James 1:22)

"Anyone, then, who knows the good he ought to do and doesn't do it, sins" (James 4:17)

I often sit back, knowing what to do for Him, yet I don't do anything, thinking somebody else will do it.


Lukewarm people rarely share their faith with their neighbors, coworkers, or friends. They do not want to be rejected, nor do they want to make people uncomfortable by talking about private issues like religion.

"Whoever acknowledges me before men, I will also acknowledge him before my Father in heaven. But whoever disowns me before men, I will disown him before my Father in heaven" (Matthew 10:32-33)

This one nags at me more than most of them. Countless times I come in contact with people I believe to be lost. Whether it's in class or other places on campus, restaurants, old friends or even knew ones, I rarely ask about their faith and beliefs. For what reason? I'm not real sure. I guess I don't want them to be uncomfortable around me or treat me different because I'm a Christian. Which those two reasons are upsetting because eternal salvation is much more important than being uncomfortable or being thought of differently.


Lukewarm people love God, but do not love Him with all their heart, soul, and strength. They would be quick to assure you that they try to love God that much, but that sort of total devotion isn't really possible for the average person; it's only for pastors and missionaries and radicals.

"Jesus replied: ' Love the Lord God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment" (Matthew 22:37-38)

I too try to love God with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind, yet I fail... miserably... everyday. I constantly put other things before God, making my day not fulfilling. Where as all I had to do was put God before everything and I would have felt fulfilled.


Lukewarm people think about life on earth much more often than eternity in heaven. Daily life is mostly focused on today's to do list, this this week's schedule, and next month's vacation. Rarely, if ever, do they intently consider the life to come.

"Set your minds on things above, not earthly things" (Colossians 3:2)

Just an example: for the past few weeks all I could think about my trip on spring break. I couldn't wait for this trip. I wish all I could think about was life after death. How awesome would that be.


These lukewarm identities have caused conviction in my heart. Which has definitely been needed for quite some time. They have caused an urgency inside me that has been discussed not only with my small group, but also with my young life team. I'm anxious to see what else Francis Chan has in store for me and my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment