Saturday, March 13, 2010

First 100

After leaving Bourbon Street, we drove around the outskirts of New Orleans for couple of hours waiting for the Grand Opening to start. The Grand Opening began at 6:00 am. Here are some observations:

1. While in line one guy calls everyone in front of him dicks. Not sure why. He would have been around number 50, and 50 is before 100 so he would have still gotten 52 combos.

2. The lady who calls for line checks has a loud, obnoxious, annoying voice. I wished she didn't yell. I felt like I woke up on the wrong side of the concrete.

3. My little blowup mattress is infinitely more comfortable than the concrete, well that's what my back told me.

4. For breakfast we got a Chick-fil-a biscuit. It was good.

5. For lunch we got a #1 combo. I asked the lady for Honey Roasted BBQ sauce. She said it was not in reaching distance. I don't know why she couldn't either a) ask the guy beside her to reach it or b) take two steps to the right to grab it. I just tell her Chick-fil-a sauce will do.

6. They give me one Chick-fil-a sauce, so I kindly ask for two more. While giving me only one, she tells me there is mayonnaise in the bag. I think to myself I hate mayonnaise and I definitely hate manyonnaise on such a sandwhich as a #1. She then brushes me off as if they are real busy. News flash: it isn't open yet, and I was the last person in line for that specific group.

7. We meet Zack (it could be Zac). He is 21 and coaches lacrosse at a Catholic school, he's a server at a seafood restaurant on Bourbon Street. He tells us where all the locals go and about New Orleans in general. He's originally from Atlanta, but went to University of Texas for a bit and moved to New Orleans because it is somewhat cheap unless it is hurricane season. He was a nice guy. He didn't know you had to spend the night and all he had brought was a yoga mat and a crazy creek chair. He had his mom bring him an air mattress and his girlfriend later brought a tent.

8. It looked like it was about to rain to the high heavens, so we moved our tents to higher ground. Zack helped move them. It didn't really matter. Both tents got wet on the inside.

9. For dinner we got a 3 piece strip meal. We got to eat inside to test the workers skill on the registers. It was cool. We get to meet Zack's girlfriend. She is a high school teacher.

10. It starts to rain again. Then there is lightning folled by thunder and we go inside. Soon enough there is an ice cream party. Dan Cathy talks about Chick-fil-a and what they stand for. He also tells the Gospel, which is really cool. There is a cake because an old married couple had been to 50 Grand Openings, that is 2600 meals appiece and 5200 together.

11. I go to the tent to go to sleep. My sleeping bag is damp. Brodale then lets me share his sleeping bag and pillow. I'm not sure if I wish there was a picture of this, or if I'm glad there wasn't a picture.

12. I wake up and go put my contacts in. Berner is being interviewed, he is on the news.

13. We sing Rocky Top and some lady tells us to be quiet.

14. The store opens and Tennessee Riverdance our way inside as Dan Cathy plays something on the trumpet.

15. The top 5 people in line had been to a combined 201 Grand Openings. That is 10,452 meals.

I have been to 5 Chick-fil-a Grand Openings and this one was by far the best one I have been to even with the thunderstorms and wet sleeping bag. Other than two instances, everyone from Chick-fil-a I encountered was geniuinely nice.

Here are some videos from our Grand Opening:
http://www.wdsu.com/video/22808413/index.html

http://www.abc26.com/videobeta/f549151c-1632-4c00-b7f3-05c2db22268e/News/The-Grand-Opening-of-the-Chick-fil-A-in-Metairie-with-Chriss-Knight-Part-1-Good-Morning-New-Orleans-03-11-10

http://www.abc26.com/videobeta/73244651-ff39-4427-a002-6910b09bae87/News/The-Grand-Opening-of-the-Chick-fil-A-in-Metairie-with-Chriss-Knight-Part-2-Good-Morning-New-Orleans-03-11-10

http://www.abc26.com/videobeta/62169ba7-1e52-4a42-aa4d-bb34bce64881/News/The-Grand-Opening-of-the-Chick-fil-A-in-Metairie-with-Chriss-Knight-Part-3-Good-Morning-New-Orleans-03-11-10

http://www.abc26.com/videobeta/03be1deb-8c99-4ff1-82f0-0f61ec493676/News/The-Grand-Opening-of-the-Chick-fil-A-in-Metairie-with-Chriss-Knight-Part-4-Good-Morning-New-Orleans-03-11-10

2 comments:

  1. I like your lists. I think maybe you should make all your blogs lists. That would be a trip and I think everyone loves a good list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really thought about that. I will make lists if lists can give full detail of the point I'm trying to give

    ReplyDelete